Our how to get pregnant instructions teach you how to get pregnant and have a healthy baby in 12 steps.
- Get educated. Should you see an infertility specialist now? Read our FAQs.
- Be at your optimal weight. Both extremes of weights affect your fertility, and maintaining an optimal weight improves your fertility. The best way to find out whether you weigh too much or not is to calculate your body mass index, the BMI. Losing some pounds is cheaper than expensive fertility treatments, so why not try it?
- Become a better and frequent lover. Yes, it is about sex. Many couples don’t seem to realize that how you make love is crucial when it comes to getting pregnant. That means you should make love regularly throughout the menstrual cycle, and make love once a day every day during your fertile 5-6 days preferably with a missionary position. The egg can only be fertilized during the 12-24 after ovulation but sperm has to be there already and it can live in the lower portion of a woman's reproductive tract up to five days. Making love after ovulation is unlikely to get you pregnant.
- Increase his fertility too. It takes 2 to get pregnant. His sperms have to be healthy, so make sure you know how to improve his sperm count. Male fertility problems affect 50% of couples who can't get pregnant, so first make sure he has enough sperms by doing a Sperm Count. Make sure he has a healthy diet, exercises, is at his optimal weight, doesn't smoke or drink, and takes a daily vitamin and herbal fertility supllement like FertilAid to boost his sperm count.
- Exercise regularly. Exercising is healthy and gets your body ready for the strains of pregnancy and labor and delivery.
- Eat A Healthy Diet. Many doctors now believe diet can improve your fertility, especially if you have certain ovulation issues. Some believe that the right diet can made a difference because the majority of women experiencing ovulatory dysfunction were also suffering from undiagnosed or sub clinical PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), a condition related to insulin resistance that also affects ovulation.So what should you eat? Eat more monounsaturated fats (like olive oil) and less trans fats (like the kind found in many baked goods or fast foods). Increase intake of vegetable protein (like soy), while reducing animal protein (like red meat). Eat more high fiber, low-glycemic foods -- like whole grains, vegetables, and some fruits, while reducing the intake of refined carbohydrates and sugars. Consume moderate amounts of high-fat dairy products -- like ice cream, whole milk, and cheese. Learn all about the "Food NoNos."
- Take your daily Folic Acid: Foliuc acid is recommended to decrease the risk of fetal neural tube defects, miscarriages, and other malformations
- Reduce stress. It’s rarely healthy to live with a lot of stress and some studies have reported that reducing stress may improve fertility. What can you do to reduce stress?
- Get regular massages
- Have more sex
- Take long weekends off
- Listen to music
- Do yoga
- Read and write journals
- Pamper yourself
- Spend more time with your family and friend
- Hold hands with your partner
10. See your doctor for a preconception visit. There are many issues that can best be resolved before pregnancy. Seeing your doctor and having the appropriate tests done will help you improve your chances having a healthy baby.
11. Stay away from Drugs, Cigarettes, and Alcohol.Smoking, drinking, and taking drugs have a negative impact not only on your fertility. They also increase miscarriages and pregnancy complications like premature deliveries. Don't drink more than 2 cups of coffee a day. Review with your doctor all medications you take including over-the-counter and prescription medications. Most medications are safe, but there are some which can affect your pregnancy. Do not stop any medications that you need unless you discuss it with your doctor first
12. Get your financials in shape, find a good obstetrician. Check your health insurance coverage, review your options for leave at work and make a pregnancy and baby budget.