A high risk pregnancy is a pregnancy with medical, surgical or other issues that could put the fetus, the pregnancy and/or the mother at risk. It includes:
- A woman who is more likely than usual to become sick or die
- A fetus or baby that is more likely than usual to become sick or die
- Medical, surgical, or other complications during pregnancy, before or after delivery which have a higher risk to occur than usual.
Many women with high-risk pregnancies can continue and see their regular Ob-Gyns, others may need to get care from a special team of doctors such as Maternal-Fetal Medicine ObGyns (high risk obstetricians) to ensure that their pregnancies are healthy and that they have a healthy pregnancy outcome.
Top high risk Pregnancy Complications
- Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Gestational Diabetes
- Premature/Preterm Labor
- Hyperemesis Gravidarum/Severe Nausea and Vomiting
- Infections and Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Birth Defects
- Multiples (eg. twins)
High Risk Pregnancy Complications A-Z