When Should I Take a Pregnancy Test?

    Q: When should I take a pregnancy test?

    A: An early urine pregnancy test will not show up positive until there is enough hCG, the pregnancy hormone, in your body. This hormone isn't even present until several days after the fertilized egg implants into your uterus. Implantation happens 6-12 days after you ovulate. It isn't detectable until around the time of your period (some women don't get a positive result until days after a missed period). While other women are able to take an early pregnancy test (like First Response) a couple of days before their period is due and get a positive test. However, that is not the case for MOST women. Have you ever heard of a "false negative"? It's when you ARE pregnant, but get a negative test and then test a few days later and get a positive. That's what happens most of the time when women test before their periods.



    Even First Response (the test that advertises "99% accurate. Our most accurate results 5 days sooner"), says the following regarding it's accuracy: "4 days before your period, the test is 63% accurate; 3 days before your period 83% accurate; one and two days before 93% accurate."

    Don't waste your money by testing early. Wait until it's a day late and test then. And just so you know, a healthy mid twenties couple who has no known fertility problems only has a 20% chance each month to get pregnant. 80% within the first year of "trying."