Choosing to breastfeed your baby is a huge decision for some moms. Breastfeeding offers a bond between mother and child and breast milk is a perfect blend of nourishment for a newborn. Moms who breastfeed will never have to worry about dirty bottles, formula, or feeding on the go.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends for infants to be exclusively breastfed for about the first 6 months with continued breastfeeding along with introducing appropriate complementary foods for 1 year or longer. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children be introduced to foods other than breast milk or infant formula when they are about 6 months old. WHO also recommends exclusive breastfeeding up to 6 months of age with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to 2 years of age or longer.
Mothers should be encouraged to breastfeed their children for at least 1 year. The longer an infant is breastfed, the greater the protection from certain illnesses and long-term diseases. The more months or years a woman breastfeeds (combined breastfeeding of all her children), the greater the benefits to her health as well.
However, breastfeeding may not feel so natural or easy for a new mom. Beginning the bonding relationship between mom and baby will take some preparation, but you can get off to a successful start with learning the basics.
Let this page be your guide to everything breastfeeding!
- Breastfeeding & Medications
- Breastfeeding FAQs
- Breastfeeding Basics for Mom
- Breastfeeding: Tips and Tricks
- Breastfeeding Basics
- Breastfeeding FAQs
- Ten Breastfeeding Tips
- How to Stop Breastfeeding
- Tips and Tricks
- Best Breastfeeding Diet
- Herbs, Supplements, and Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding with Allergies
- Breastfeeding a Sick Baby
- Smoking and Breastfeeding
- How to Breastfeed
- Breastfeeding Information and Resources
- Breastfeeding Schedule
- Breastfeeding Safety
- Breast Milk Production
- Milk Supply While Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding Positions and Latching
- Breastfeeding and Your Husband
- 10 Survival Tips for Breastfeeding Parents
- Caring for the Baby While Mom Breastfeeds
- Lactation Consultants
- Life of Nursing Mothers
- Does Hospital Offer Breastfeeding Classes?