Q: How does the egg meet the sperm?
- Sperm is deposited in the vagina and moves up through the cervix into the uterus and then into the fallopian tube. The sperms usually survive up to 5-6 days in the uterus waiting for ovulation.
- An egg is released from the ovary (ovulation). Sometimes two or more eggs are released.
- Sperm and egg meet in the outer portion of the fallopian tube and the sperm enters the egg (fertilization).
- Twins can also develop when a sperm fertilizes the egg and thezygote or blastocyst splits in two (or even three or more).
- The fertilized egg (blastocyst) now moves towards the uterus
- The blastocyst arrives in the uterus about 5-6 days after ovulation/fertilization and attaches (implantation) into the uterine lining