Folks in the South take life at a slower rate than people in the rest of the country. This built-in leisurely approach to life makes this region a great place to relax and unwind before the demands of parenthood kick up life’s pace to a new and unimaginably faster speed.
Most of the Southern states border the sea so there are plenty of choices for babymooners looking for languid afternoons on a warm beach. Professional and college sporting events are important and trails for hiking and biking are usually open year round. American music has roots in the South and American authors including Margaret Mitchell, Truman Capote, and Tennessee Williams found poetic inspiration around every corner.
Consider these top 7 babymoon destinations in the South for an inspiring start to parenthood:
- The Avenue Inn in New Orleans, Louisiana, understands pregnancy. Its “Full Baby Moon” package starts with a basket of pickles and M&Ms. Streetcar tickets lead to tours of the French Quarter and Garden District, there’s food galore, massages, and even a baby bump belly cast for a 3D souvenir to commemorate this important stage in life.
- The earthy colors of the Aqualina Spa & Resort on the Beach of Sunny Isles Beach, just north of Miami, Florida, set the pace for tranquil relaxation and the rolling ocean waves soothe like nature’s lullaby. The 3-day “Babymoon Package” includes luxurious spa treatments; world-class cuisine that can be enjoyed in elegant restaurants, on the beach, or in your room.
- Enjoy the best of the tropics at the award-winning Little Palm Island Resort & Spa on Little Torch Key in Florida. Have love letters written to the new baby, enjoy Russian caviar on the beach at sunset, skim the waves in a yacht, swim with the dolphins, and snorkel with your sweetie. Design the babymoon of your dreams in the Florida Keys.
- Get a feel for Old South luxury at Georgia’s Olde Savannah Inn where the “BabyMoon Get Away Package” includes a stay in the charming Provence Room, carriage rides, dinner, and trolley tours through historic Old Town.
- Explore historic Natchez, Mississippi, from The Elms, the elegant antebellum plantation home built in 1804 and lovingly maintained by the same family for the last 130 years. The “Babymoon Package” includes bubble baths in an oversized tub, a horse-drawn carriage ride, milk and cookies at bedtime, and a traditional breakfast that does the South proud.
- New Orleans claims jazz but Memphis is the home of the blues. And Elvis. The Inn at Hunt Phelan on Beale Street puts you just a short stroll away from BB King’s Blues Club and other music venues frequented by some of the top names in music. This beautifully restored 1828 antebellum mansion sits on five downtown acres but has only ten guest rooms, meaning the entire city is at your fingertips and so is the inn’s dedicated staff.
- Pamper her like a princess at The King’s Daughters Inn in Durham, North Carolina. In-room massages, milk and cookies at bedtime, and a baby gift make the moment special but the green renovation project that maintained the inn’s historic charm while incorporating modern-day sustainable systems is sure to intrigue the environmentally minded. The Durham area is laced with parks, sports venues, arts, history, great food, and shopping galore to make your stay truly memorable.