Drop-dead-gorgeous supermodel Chrissy Teigen, 29, has set the internet aflame with her comment that there would be “no hot nannies, drivers, or maids” in the house when she and hubby John Legend, 36, have children someday. She describes the thought as “an ongoing joke in my house” but most jokes have a ring of truth to them. Hot nannies have kept many a celebrity wife awake at night and this inside joke may be Teigen’s way of telling the world, including future employees, that she intends to keep her man’s eyes all to herself.
Celebrity Nannies in the News
Why would Teigen even mention hot nannies? Celebrity nannies do seem to make headlines.
Ben Affleck is said to have apologized just days ago to ex-wife Jennifer Garner for the scandalous affair he is said to have had with the couple’s nanny, Christine Ouzounian. Insider gossip says the nanny fling started only after Garner and Affleck’s marital difficulties began but rumors persist.
Celebrity blogger, Perez Hilton, lists several instances of celebrity break-ups because a nanny or a maid proved too tempting to resist:
- Robin Williams split with his wife of 10 years when their son’s nanny, Marsha Garces, became pregnant with Williams’ child. Williams and Garces married in 1989 and had two children, Zelda and Cody.
- Jude Law’s engagement to Sienna Miller ended in 2005 once his affair with the nanny of his three children was revealed.
- Ethan Hawke’s interest in his kids’ nanny contributed to the dissolution of his marriage to Uma Thurman although Hawke says marital strife was caused by many pressures, not his nanny love interest. Hawke married that nanny and they have two children of their own.
- Reality star Jon Gosselin has been really busy in the nursery, during and after his marriage to Kate, celebrity mother of their eight children. Babysitter Hailey Glassman was a looming presence in the Gosselin divorce proceedings but she broke up with him months later when she realized he’d been having an affair with a tabloid reporter. Gosselin has also been romantically linked to a second babysitter.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger may have left the nannies alone but his marriage to Maria Shriver fizzled when it was revealed that Schwarzenegger fathered a housekeeper’s child. Shriver and the housekeeper gave birth to Arnold’s sons just five days apart.
Child Care in Real Life
Child Care Aware of America, an organization devoted to advocacy and public policy concerning child care, wants every family in the US to “have access to a high quality, affordable child care system.” Most American parents do rely on a system of providers to care for their children rather than all-inclusive in-home help.
- "5 Steps To Choosing Care." Child Care Aware. NACCRRA, 2015. Web. 14 Sept. 2015.