Q: When should we see an infertility specialist?


A: In general, if you are under the age of 35 you should try for 12 months before consulting a specialist, either your Ob-Gyn or an infertility specialist (RE=Reproductive Endocrinologist). If there are certain medical conditions, such as irregular menstrual cycles or a history of tubal infections, you should consider a basic examination sooner. Most doctors usually advise women over age 35 not to wait for 12 months but to have an initial examination after six months of trying, while those over 40 may begin fertility tests immediately.

Try the BabyMed Interactive Specialist Tool to find out if and when you should see the specialist.