The Jewish population in Spain today is about 67,000. During World War II, Spain was neutral so Nazi soldiers did not impact the Jewish population directly, but Spain was willing to act as a through way for Jewish – people trying to escape from Nazi insurgence. About 26,000 immigrants passed through Spain leaving no trace. An addition 6,750 immigrants were sheltered by Spanish diplomats.
Sometimes the symptoms of cold in pregnancy can leave the mom-to-be feeling listless and in pain. Recipes for Jewish Penicillin are thought to have a significant effect on the symptoms of cold in pregnancy and the ingredients are all natural and healthy.
Spanish Chicken Soup with Achote Oil
1 Spanish onion, chopped
2 gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large bunch of cilantro
½ bag of carrots, baby
1 bunch of celery
6 cloves of garlic
1 small roasting chicken
28 ounce can of tomatoes
Rice or noodles, as desired
Note: Most people have no idea what Achote oil is, but it is simple to make. Simply add 1 TB Annatto seed to ½ cup olive oil and steep. Do not let the oil get too hot. When the oil turned red, strain the seeds and keep the Achote oil in the refrigerator for up to one week.
1. Fill a large stock pot half full with water. Add salt and olive oil and heat to boiling.
2. Wash and dry the chicken.
3. Clean all vegetables and chop.
4. When the water comes to a boil, place the chicken in the pot and cook until tender (about one hour).
5. Place a colander over a large bowl.
6. Remove the chicken from the pot and allow to drain in the colander.
7. The broth should still be boiling at this point.
8. Add the vegetables, tomatoes and a couple TB of Achote oil to the pot.
9. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are done.
10. Shred the chicken after removing the skin.
11. Place the shredded chicken back into the broth and cook for 20 minutes.
12. If desired, add rice or noodles to complete the soup.