Take the time to brew a pot of chicken stock and you could have the base for one of the oldest treatments for colds in pregnancy known to man. Jewish Penicillin recipes are represented in nearly every culture. The ingredients may be different, but every chicken soup, Jewish Penicillin, recipe is packed with highly nutritious ingredients packed with vitamins.
The Latin American Jewish population is more than 2.5 million strong. During World War II, immigration from other countries was halted as Latin American support of anti-Jewish movements grew. The sentiments changed soon after the war and as such, the Jewish community is richly supported in Latin America.
3 lbs cut up chicken, thighs and legs
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
1 leek, washed and cut into rings
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup fresh green beans, chopped
2 ears fresh corn, cut into quarters
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, fresh
2 chicken flavored bouillon cubes
1 tb salt
½ tsp black pepper
4 green onions, chopped fine
1 med tomato, seeded and chopped fine
1 small onion, peeled and chopped fine
2 very hot peppers, seeded and chopped fine (wear gloves)
3 tb cilantro, fresh
3 tb vinegar, white
¼ tsp salt
- Place a large stock pot on the stove.
- Add the chicken to the pot.
- Add 8 cups water.
- Heat on high to boiling.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Skim off all foam as it appears.
- After 10 minutes, add vegetables, garlic and cilantro.
- Unwrap bouillon cubes and add to the soup.
- Salt and pepper soup to taste.
- Stir several times to mix all vegetables well.
- Bring the soup back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat again and cover ½ way.
- Simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Use a spoon to remove the chicken from the pot.
- Place the chicken on a serving dish.
- Break the potatoes into smaller pieces, dispersing starch to thicken soup.
- After chicken has cooled, pick off the bone and add back to the pot.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Aji (Salsa) in a small bowl.
- Serve soup in large bowls topped with Aji.
- Avocado, sour cream and cilantro can be used as garnishes.