Not everyone loves the same old chicken soup commonly used to fight
colds in pregnancy. There are plenty of recipe varieties. Some include
interesting ingredients like pickles, parsnip and lotus root. Others use
different spices than Jewish Penicillin in the United States. Chicken
soup recipes for treating colds in pregnancy are often based on the
culture from which they are derived.
In South Africa, the impact of the Holocaust and World War II were not nearly as strong as in other countries. South Africans were generally passed over though anti-Jewish groups support of the German movement did exist in the country. At the population peak there were more than 120,000 Jews in South Africa. Today, the population rests at around 75,000. Most Jews moving out of the country chose to move to Australia, United States and Israel among other countries.
South African Authentic Chicken Soup
4 tb olive oil
3 lbs chicken pieces cut into pieces, include four thighs cut through the bone
3 bay leaves
6 sprigs thyme
5 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
½ tsp black pepper, coarse grind
¼ tsp turmeric
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, peeled and chopped fine
1 whole celery stalk with leaves, chopped fine
½ cup water
3 tomatoes, chopped fine
½ cup fresh green beans, chopped
2 cups broccoli florets, small
1 tb lemon juice
Salt to taste
1 tsp brown sugar
½ cup egg noodles
1 small chicken bouillon cube
4 drops hot sauce
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1. Place a medium stock pot over medium heat.
2. Add 2 tb oil.
3. Place bay leaves and ½ the thyme into the oil.
4. Add ½ the chopped garlic.
5. Cook until sizzling.
6. Sprinkle black pepper onto chicken pieces.
7. Add chicken to the stock pot.
8. Cook chicken until all sides are brown.
9. Throw turmeric into the pot and stir until well blended.
10. Reduce heat to medium low and cover.
11. Allow chicken to simmer.
12. Place a second medium stock pot onto the stove on medium high.
13. Add 2 tb oil to the stock pot.
14. Throw cumin seeds to the oil and stir.
15. Bring to a sizzle and add onions.
16. Stir well and reduce heat to medium.
17. Cook onions until they are golden brown.
18. Add ¼ of the remaining garlic.
19. Throw carrots and celery into the pot and stir to combine.
20. Allow to cook for three minutes.
21. Add ¼ cup water and cover.
22. Allow to cook for 10 minutes.
23. Take the top off the pot and add tomatoes, broccoli and fresh green beans.
24. The lemon juice and sugar can also be added.
25. Cover again and simmer for seven minutes.
26. Open the chicken pot and add ¼ cup water.
27. Stir the water into the chicken.
28. Tip the stock pot with the chicken and scrape into the stock pot with the carrots.
29. Add water until the soup is the right consistency for your family.
30. Throw the noodles into the pot and bring to a light boil.
31. Cook until pasta is tender.
32. Chop the remaining thyme while the noodles are cooking.
33. Place the thyme into the soup pot with the remaining garlic, coriander and hot sauce and stir.
34. Serve soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.