The missionary position is among the best sex positions to get pregnant faster. It is considered optimal for conception — though, of course, you can get pregnant having intercourse in almost any sex position.
The missionary position got its name because missionaries reportedly insisted that all other sex positions were sinful because sex only serves one purpose — to get pregnant — and that this face-to-face coital arrangement was the only acceptable way to get pregnant.
In the traditional missionary position, the woman lies on her back with her legs spread, both of her knees bent, and her feet firm on the bed. The man is on top facing her. There are additional variations on the basic missionary position; for example, the woman can raise one or both of her legs while the man holds them or places them on his shoulders, or she can extend her knees.
This position is the best sex position to get pregnant when it comes to conception because as the woman lies on her back, the vagina is tilted downwards toward the cervix; this makes it easier for the sperm to get through the cervix and into the uterus. Another benefit is that this position allows the penis to penetrate more deeply into the vagina, so sperm can enter the cervix more directly right after ejaculation.
Furthermore, the missionary position is very comfortable and allows for good body contact. Partners are facing each other and can kiss and hug while they're having intercourse. The woman is able to move relatively freely, and the man can keep some of his weight off of her body by lifting himself up with his hands or elevating his body using his knees.
If you are making love in the missionary position and want to further improve your chances of conceiving, take these steps after ejaculation:
- Keep the penis in the vagina as deeply as possible so that a minimal amount of ejaculate leaks out.
- After withdrawing the penis, gently press the woman's labia together to prevent further leakage.
- The woman should remain to lie on her back for an additional 20-30 minutes, preferably with her lower back supported by a pillow so her pelvis is tilted slightly upward.
It is normal for some of the ejaculates to flow out of the vagina when the woman gets up, and it won't lessen her chance of getting pregnant because at this point most sperm remaining in the vagina is no longer viable. For the same reason, staying on her back longer than 30 minutes won't improve a woman's chances of conception.
If you feel more adventurous, consider these other sex positions to get pregnant and enhance your conception chances:
- Lying side-by-side can be a relaxing position and easier on a partner who is overweight or has a back problem. You can do this either face-to-face or in the "spoon" position with the man entering her vagina from behind.
- In the rear-entry position, the man enters the woman's vagina from behind. She either lies on her abdomen, kneels, or they lie side-by-side. The man stands behind her, maybe at the end of a bed, or he kneels. This position also allows the sperm to be deposited close to the cervix.
- Using either position, after he ejaculates, she can either stay on her abdomen for 20-30 minutes or roll onto her back with her hips elevated, as described above.
Needless to say, whichever sex positions to get pregnant you use, don't make getting pregnant a chore: enjoy what you're doing!
Top Getting Pregnant Frequently Asked Questions FAQs