The American Society for Reproductive Medicine defines infertility as "the inability to conceive after one year of unprotected intercourse." They suggest that "couples in which the female partner is under the age of 35 and who have not conceived after one year of unprotected intercourse should seek the help of a physician that specializes in the treatment of infertility." It's important not to lose precious time, and there are instances in which a couple should see an infertility specialist before 12 months have passed. The ASRM suggests that couples should see a specialist:

  • After six months of trying if the female partner is over age 35 and has been unable to conceive.
  • The woman has a known cause of infertility, such as irregular periods, endometriosis, fibroids, prior abortion, or a mother who took DES; the man has varicocele; or either partner had prior or upcoming cancer treatment.

At the age of 31 and after more than 12 months of unsuccessfully trying to get pregnant, it's suggested you see a doctor to find out what's going on and how to improve your chances of conceiving. If you've already discussed the issue with your ob-gyn, you should make an appointment with an infertility specialist or reproductive endocrinologist.