The United States has a flourishing Jewish population. In Miami, the number of Jewish residents is estimated between 337,000 and 535,000. During World War II, the Jewish communities in the United States had difficulty creating a common front and stand within the population. The American media ignored the Holocaust, which caused further pain and unrest. To this day, there is a division among some older Jewish communities.
There are many Jewish Penicillin recipes for treating colds in pregnancy. Most utilize whole chickens or chicken breasts. This Cuban recipe for Jewish Penicillin or chicken soup is a bit different. Chicken thighs are used in place of whole chicken and the addition of saffron and oregano give this dish a truly unique taste.
6 chicken thighs
1 large onion, chopped
¼ TSP dried oregano
¼ TSP saffron
6 cups cold water
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 pack chicken bouillon, Goya
1 TB tomato paste
2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 medium carrot, chopped
½ cup lemon juice
1 TSP salt
½ TSP pepper
- Remove the skin from the chicken thighs.
- Place a large stock pot on the stock and add water.
- Throw chicken, tomato paste, bouillon, onion, oregano and garlic into the pot.
- Turn the stove on high and heat the water to boiling.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup for 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots and potatoes to the pot and simmer for 30 minutes more.
- Add the saffron, pasta, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Cook just until pasta is done.
- Serve hot.