Premature ejaculation (PE) is also known as rapid ejaculation, premature
climax, early ejaculation, or by the Latin term ejaculatio praecox. Premature ejaculation is a very common sexual problem in men, affecting 25%-40% of men and is characterized by a lack of voluntary control over ejaculation.
There are many different definitions of pramature ejaculation:
- Many sex therapists understand premature ejaculation as occurring when a lack of ejaculatory control interferes with sexual or emotional well-being in one or both partners.
- Some sex researchers have defined premature ejaculation as occurring if the man ejaculates within two minutes or less of penetration.
- Others define premature ejaculation as the inability to control the ejaculatory response for at least 30 seconds following penetration.
In a survey by Alfred Kinsey in the 1950s demonstrated that three quarters of men ejaculated within two minutes of penetration in over half of their sexual encounter so the "2-Minute rule" does not necessarily mean much.
Premature ejaculation becomes a fertility problem when ejaculation occurs before a man is able to fully insert his penis into his partner’s vagina.
Before treatment is begun, a doctor should examine him to see whether there may be some physical factors responsible for his premature ejaculation. Physical factors include:
- Prostate problems such as infection
- A history of a physical injury that affects the nervous system.
- Certain medications, such as cold medications containing pseudoephedrine, also cause premature ejaculation.
- Sexual dysfunction is a common symptom of psychiatric afflictions ranging from bipolar disorder to post-traumatic stress disorder.
If any of these factors are repponsible for his premature ejaculation then they should be treated.
In addition to physical issues, psychological issues may be responsible for his premature ejaculation.
Treatments for premature ejaculation include a behavioral modification technique called the “squeeze technique,” which desensitizes the penis.
If nothing else works then artificial insemination is an option to achieve pregnancy.