What are teratogens?
Teratogens are any drugs, chemicals, X-rays, or anything else that can induce malformations in the fetus and/or lead to miscarriages. There are very few teratogens that are known to cause fetal malformations.
Here is the known list of teratogens:
- Alcohol Androgens
- Testosterone derivatives (for example, danazol)
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (for example, enalapril, and captopril)
- Coumarin derivatives (for example, warfarin)
- Folic acid antagonists (methotrexate and aminopterin)
- Cocaine Diethylstilbestrol (DES)
- Organic mercury
- Streptomycin and kanamycin
- Trimethadione and paramethadione
- Valproic acid
- Vitamin A and its derivatives (for example, isotretinoin, etretinate, and retinoids)