There are several recommendations for pregnancy weight gain and BMI changes. The recommendations used the most were established by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) and by the American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- Pregnancy Weight Gain - How much?
- Pregnancy Weight Gain Calculator By Week
- Pregnancy Weight Gain Calculator Graph
- Calculate today's weight gain
- BMI Calculator
From the CDC:
- If before pregnancy, you were underweight, BMI less than 18.5, you should gain 28-40 pounds
- If before pregnancy you were normal Weight, BMI 18.5-24.9, then you should gain 25-35 pounds
- If before pregnancy you are overweight, BMI 25.0-29.9, you should gain 15-25 pounds
- If before pregnancy you were obese, BMI greater than or equal to 30.0, you should gain 11- 20 pounds
There are additional recommendations since these came out:
- BMI 30-34.9: 5-15 lb recommended weight gain
- BMI 35-39.9: Under 10 lb recommended weight gain
- BMI 40 and over: No recommended weight gain (but also no weight loss)
CDC weight gain recommendations