Every once in a while, a pregnant woman wants a refreshing simple meal that is nutritious and easy to assemble. Coriander soup with lemon offers a boost of vitamin C and a gentle flavor that is perfect for those last few weeks of pregnancy when eating is hindered by baby’s size. This recipe can be easily changed up a bit by using lime juice or orange juice.
3 spring onions, chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tb olive oil
5 cups vegetable stock
1 handful coriander stems
½ cup cabbage chopped
¼ cup carrot, chopped
2 tb coriander leaves, chopped
Pepper to taste
2 tb lemon juice
- Heat oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, green onions, ginger and garlic and sauté until onions are clear.
- Add vegetable stock, cabbage, carrot and coriander stems and bring to a boil.
- Throw in one-half the coriander leaves and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and strain.
- Reserve the vegetables to serve on the side.
- Place strained soup back in the stock pot and add lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil and add remaining coriander leaves.
Nutritional Benefits: Tons of Vitamins
Category: Appetizer, Lunch, Main Dish