Beans are a fantastic source of protein and folic acid. This healthy version of bean dip adds a bit of spice with cumin. Some pregnant women do not enjoy spicy foods – eliminating the cumin leaves a tasty, simple bean dip recipe that can be served as a meal or an appetizer.
4 tb olive oil
1 large, sweet onion, chopped fine
¼ to ½ tsp cumin
2 cans of beans, 16 ounces (kidney, white northern and black beans work well)
4 cloves garlic, pressed
Pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions until translucent.
- Scrape into a bowl and add cumin.
- Drain beans in a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Place onions, garlic, beans and pepper in a food processor.
- Process until mixture resembles a paste.
- Serve with celery, toasted whole wheat bread or whole wheat crackers.
Nutritional Benefits: Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Protein, Folic Acid
Category: Appetizer, Lunch, Hors D’Oeuvres