The artichoke is one of those foods that seems impossible to cook and even more impossible to eat. Many people opt for the canned variety, but the sodium content is through the roof. Instead of packing in the salt, try cooking your own for a special treat that packs a ton of folate and other pregnancy health boosting vitamins and nutrients.
- With kitchen shears, cut the tips off the artichoke leaves.
- Grab a sharp kitchen knife and cut about ½” to ¾” off the top of the artichoke.
- Heat water to boiling in a large saucepan.
- Add bay leaf and lemon slices to the water.
- Place the artichoke in a steamer basket and steam for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Leaves will be tender when cooked.
- Mix lemon juice and butter together to taste.
- Serve lemon butter with artichokes.
Eating Tips: Artichokes are not hard to eat. The leaves can be picked off one by one and dipped in the lemon butter. Hold the root of the leaf and place it in the mouth. Pull on the root, using teeth to drag over the artichoke leaf. This removes the soft pulp of the artichoke.
When the leaves are gone you will have the choke that covers the artichoke heart. Scrape away the choke, which looks like fuzzy fibers. What is left is the heart. Cut the artichoke heart into pieces and enjoy with the lemon butter.
Nutritional Benefits: Iron, Folate, Fiber.
Category: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Appetizer, Hors D’Oeuvres, Snack.