As we collect more information and data, there is still insufficient complete information regarding pregnancy outcomes and Coronavirus so far because of too few cases reported. If you’re pregnant, you naturally have many questions about how to stay safe and keep your baby protected.
Here are the answers to the common question surrounding pregnancy and the Coronavirus:
Do pregnant women contract COVID more easily?
In general, pregnant women can be more susceptible to infections, but there has not been any hard evidence suggesting that Coronavirus is more easily transmitted during pregnancy.
How does it affect pregnancy?
It is still unknown exactly how the virus affects pregnancy.
Will the virus harm the baby?
There are no studies to determine how Coronavirus in a mother-to-be will affect the baby born to her. However, a baby in London tested positive for the virus within minutes of being born. Apparently, the mother was hospitalized days before the birth for suspected pneumonia. And in another case study of 4 children, none was found to be infected. Larger studies with more pregnancies need to be done to know the exact answer.
Can it be passed from mom to fetus or during breastfeeding?
We still do not know if the virus is transmitted from mother to fetus. We also do not know whether mothers with COVID-19 can transmit the virus via breast milk.
What precautions should all pregnant women take?
Pregnant women should do the same things as the general public to avoid infection. You can help stop the spread of COVID-19 by taking these actions:
- Cover your cough (using your elbow is a good technique)
- Avoid people who are sick
- Clean your hands often using soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer
All pregnant women should:
- Stay away from infected people and crowds
- Wash your hands before touching your face
- Use hand sanitizer when out and unable to wash your hands with soap
- Call your doctor with any fever (= or over 100.4 F or 38 C)
- Call your doctor with any shortness of breath
- Coronavirus 2019-nCoV COVID-19 and Pregnancy
- Thriving During Pregnancy Amid the Coronavirus Outbreak
- Coronavirus: Separating Fact from Fiction
- What is COVID-19 (2019-Novel Coronavirus)?
- How is Coronavirus Transmitted?
- IVF and Other Fertility Treatments and COVID-19 Coronavirus
- During COVID-19 Crisis: Is Home Birth Better Than Hospital Birth?
- Real Body Talk: Stop Objecting to Staying Home During COVID-19 Quarantine