The ingredients supply a healthy boost of vitamins that work with the immune system to stave off the worst cold symptoms. Jewish Penicillin has also been shown to reduce the number of days you suffer colds in pregnancy.
Jews in Iraq, prior to World War II, did not think of themselves as a Jewish population. Rather, the Iraqis thought of themselves as Iraqis of Jewish faith. The war brought unrest, bombings, murders and lootings to Iraq. A massive emigration from Iraq to Israel resulted. More than 120,000 Iraqi Jews emigrated. Today, the total Jewish population of Baghdad is thought to be less than 20. Some estimates state the number is closer to five.
Chicken carcass and giblets (meat to be served during the meal)
Celery stalks and leaves, 4
Garlic cloves, 3
Zucchini, 3 small
Uncooked rice, ¾ cup
- Cook rice according to package directions and reserve.
- Slice celery stalks, leeks, zucchini and garlic cloves and reserve in separate bowls.
- Juice 2 lemons and reserve.
- Place the chicken carcass, vegetables (except zucchini) and ½ lemon juice into a large stockpot.
- Turn heat to high and bring broth to a boil.
- Use a spoon to skim the froth off the top.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for one hour.
- Remove chicken carcass from the soup.
- Add zucchini and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Add rice during the last two minutes of cook to just heat through.
- Add the remaining lemon juice if needed. The soup should have a very lemony taste.
- Serve a portion of the soup before the main meal.
- Remaining soup is typically thickened and served over chicken as a later course.