Argentina is a country rich with heritage and Jewish Roots. The Jewish Penicillin recipe most common in Argentina is a stew based soup that is thicker than most chicken soups.
When treating colds in pregnancy, the soup can be thinned with the addition of some chicken stock. Chicken soup offers a rich combination of protein and essential vitamins and nutrients for healing colds in pregnancy.
The history of the Jews of Argentina goes back to the days of the Spanish Inquisition and Portuguese Inquisition when Jews fleeing persecution settled in what is now Argentina.
Many of the Portuguese traders in the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata were Jewish, but an organized Jewish community developed only after Argentina gained independence from Spain in 1810. At that time, Jews from France and other parts of Western Europe began to settle in Argentina.
The Argentine borders were closed to immigration at the start of World War II. In 1938, the borders were opened for people trying to escape German persecution, but immigration was strictly watched and monitored. After the war, Argentina allowed Nazis to take refuge in the country, notably Adolf Eichmann. Eichmann was later abducted and taken to Jerusalem for trial. After Eichmann’s trial, many Jews started moving out of Argentina and into Israel.
The Jews of Argentina were targets of two major terrorist attacks, both of which remain unsolved: the Israeli Embassy was bombed in March 1992, killing 32 people, and in July 1994 the Jewish community center (AMIA) in Buenos Aires was bombed as well, killing 85 people and wounding over 200.
2 whole chickens, cut into pieces
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
9 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 lb squash with peels and seeds removed, chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
3 sliced onions
2 minced cloves of garlic
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
1 bay leaf
½ cup white wine
Chicken stock, several cups
½ cup uncooked barley
2 fresh ears of corn, cut into quarters
10 ounces frozen peas
½ lb green beans, chopped
1 beaten egg
- Pour oil into a large stock pot.
- Roll chicken in flour to coat.
- Heat stock pot of medium.
- Fry chicken pieces until golden brown.
- Remove chicken from the stock pot.
- Add a bit more oil if needed and brown parsnips, carrots, potatoes, and squash.
- Remove vegetables from the pot.
- Throw onions in the stock pot and cook for two minutes.
- Add the garlic and Hungarian paprika to the stock pot and cook for three more minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pot.
- Throw the bay leaf into the stock pot and add salt and pepper.
- Pour white wine and chicken stock into soup.
- Add just enough chicken stock to cover the chicken and vegetables.
- Place a cover on the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour the barley into the soup.
- Add corn pieces.
- Replace cover and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Add the green beans and peas to the soup.
- Cook for 10 more minutes.
- Crack the egg in a small bowl and beat.
- Pour egg into the soup and stir.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Use a spoon to taste the soup and adjust seasoning as needed.