While the weather is warm in Cuba, there is still a good chance for colds in pregnancy. Jewish Penicillin works to improve the immune system and kick colds out in a shorter amount of time when compared to just toughing out the cold in pregnancy.
Pregnant women can feel comfortable eating any of the recipes from the long list of Jewish Penicillin, chicken soup, recipes to help them feel better sooner.
Cuban Jews, or Cubans of Jewish heritage, have lived on the island of Cuba for centuries. Some Cubans trace Jewish ancestry to Marranos who fled the Spanish Inquisition, though few of these practice Judaism today.
There was significant Jewish immigration to Cuba in the first half of the 20th century. While Cuba was not affected by World War II, the Jewish community did take notice when Fidel Castro came to power and the majority of the Jewish population emigrated to the United States to get out from under Castro’s rule. There are about 1,500 Jews in Cuba today compared to the more than 15,000 before Castro was elected.
3 tb olive oil
1 handful green onions, root removed and chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
3 tb flour
6 cups chicken stock
8 thighs, chicken
1 yucca, peeled and cubed
1 cup calabaza, cubed
2 potatoes, cubed
2 plantains, peeled and cubed
½ cup fresh lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste
Sliced red onion
Cumin to taste
- Add oil to a large stock pot and heat over medium.
- Add onions to the pot and sauté for one minute.
- Add cilantro and cumin to the pot and sauté one more minute.
- Add 3 tb flour and whisk into the oil.
- Cook flour for one minute.
- Add 1 cup chicken stock to the soup pot.
- Whisk until flour is incorporated.
- Remove from the burner.
- Place a second stock pot onto the burner and add chicken.
- Pour the rest of the chicken stock into the pot.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil then reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Throw yucca and calabaza into the pot of stock.
- Add potatoes and plantains.
- Simmer for an additional 40 minutes.
- Take the chicken thighs out of the pot and run under cold water in a colander.
- Take the skin off the chicken thighs and remove all bones.
- Break up the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Throw the chicken into the stock pot with the vegetables.
- Add the reserved onion mixture and lemon juice to the soup.
- Heat through and serve.
- Cilantro and red onion can be used as garnish.