Here are the most common symptoms of endometriosis:
- Pain and/or cramps before and during menstrual bleeding ('dysmenorrhea')
- Painful urination during menstrual periods
- Painful bowel movements during menstrual periods
- Pelvic pain during sexual intercourse ('dyspareunia')
- Other Gastrointestinal upsets such as diarrhea, constipation, nausea
The ultimate diagnosis is made by laparoscopy, a minor surgical procedure done under anesthesia. Without laparoscopy, the diagnosis is uncertain. A laparoscopy usually shows the location, size, and extent of the growths. This helps the doctor and patient make better treatment choices.