Ahh, the superfood. According to some reports, superfoods will decrease your risk of cancer, improve overall health, help you maintain a healthy weight or lose weight and live a longer, happier life. While some of these claims are backed with clinical research and support, others have very little backing in the medical community. One thing is for certain, however, superfoods are rich in vitamins and nutrients and they work as awesome antioxidants. With environmental issues, poor diet and poor habits like smoking and drinking – many men need as much antioxidant support as they can get.
- Tomatoes: Rich in lycopene, tomatoes are ideal for heart and prostate health. You can choose to eat tomatoes straight, or as part of a tomato sauce. Even tomato ketchup is rich in lycopene, but try to choose a ketchup with reduced sugar and sodium.
- Salmon: Salmon is the mother of all natural omega-3 fatty acid sources. Omega-3 fatty acids are fantastic for your heart and may even help improve health with regular intake.
- Almonds: Almonds are ideal foods for men because they contain a lot of fiber and protein, but the best part is the phytosterol found in many nuts. Phytosterols are proven, according to a publication in the journal Circulation, to increase good cholesterol and decrease bad cholesterol.
- Green Tea: Green tea is the mother of all teas. Clinical research links green tea to a variety of health benefits, including increased metabolism and weight loss, but it is the antioxidant power of green tea that is most important for men. Antioxidants fight free radical damage and free radicals can take over healthy cells, increase the physical signs of aging and degrade overall health.
- Orac-Rich Berries: Orac-rich berries like acai, mangosteen and blueberries work similarly to green tea, though most berries are not proven to have a connection with metabolism or weight loss.
- Whole grains: White flour, rice and bread are all created by a process that strips healthy, whole grain nutrients away. Replace all white products with healthy whole grains like whole grain bread, brown or wild rice and wheat flour. Increasing whole grain intake often means increasing fiber intake and more fiber is associated with improved colon health.
- Watermelon: There isn’t much to the watermelon, but this fruit is a crucial superfood for men. Watermelon is associated with increase libido. As men age, testosterone levels can drop causing a lax sex drive. Eat more watermelon and you may just find your interest in the bedroom reignited.
- Apples: As the old saying goes, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” While this may not be completely true, men should try to eat at least one apple per day. One medium apple contains about five grams of fiber – ideal for reducing appetite. According to one study, eating an apple about 30 minutes before a meal can significantly decrease appetite and that could lead to weight loss.
- Kale: Kale is a green leafy vegetable that contains organosulfur. While that name may not be familiar, just remember that organosulfur could mean lesser chance of developing cancer. There are some who believe organosulfer helps naturally detox the body and remove carcinogens. Not sold on the cancer-fighting properties of kale – then simply add it to your diet because the lutein content may help protect eye health.
- Quinoa: One of those unknown grains found in the specialty section of your supermarket, quinoa is a complete protein, which is extremely uncommon for a grain. Need more convincing – quinoa contains healthy amounts of zinc and folate.
Not all foods are created equal – so next time you’re planning the perfect meal, leave out the fast food, high fat selections and pack that meal with superfoods for men. Your heart, mind and body will be happy for the change.