There is nothing more nutritious than a bowl of beans during pregnancy.
Beans pack protein and complex carbohydrates into a tiny, tasty package.
This hot salad offers a unique twist to eating beans out of the can. Beets grow with tender leaves attached to the fruit. These greens are a fantastic source of fiber and potassium.
2 large bunches of beets with greens attached
1- 16 ounce can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup olive oil
Minced green onions, to taste
Dried oregano, to taste
- Separate the greens from the beets.
- Rinse the greens well, picking out any bad spots in the leaves.
- Peel and chop one beet.
- Boil the beet until just starting to soften.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat 3 TB of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add green onions to the olive oil and cook for one to two minutes.
- Toss the greens in the olive oil to wilt.
- Remove from skillet and reserve on plate.
- Toss cannellini beans in the skillet over medium heat. Add a touch more olive oil if needed.
- After two to three minutes, remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining olive oil with oregano.
- Toss beet greens and cannellini beans together.
- Serve topped with drizzled olive oil and topped with beets.
Nutritional Benefit: Fiber, Full Fat Olive Oil, Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Potassium.
Category: Appetizer, Lunch, Dinner.