There is nothing better than a simmering pot of cheesy fettuccini to warm the soul and provide healthy, pregnancy nutrition. This recipe is simple, but it cooks up like a 5-Star treat.
12 ounces of wheat or whole grain fettuccini
1 tb olive oil
4 cups button mushrooms, sliced
4 cups Brussels sprouts, sliced
1 tb garlic, minced
½ cup red wine vinegar
2 cups reduced-fat milk
2 tb flour, all-purpose
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper, or more to taste
1 cup shredded cheese, Asiago or parmesan
Extra shredded cheese for garnish
- Cook pasta according to box directions minus two minutes.
- Drain pasta and pour into a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot and add mushrooms and Brussels sprouts.
- Saute for 8 to 10 minutes then add garlic and red wine vinegar.
- Cook down for 30 to 40 seconds until nearly all of the red wine vinegar has evaporated.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and flour together until completely incorporated.
- Add milk / flour mixture to the skillet and stir constantly.
- When the mixture has thickened, add cheese and continue to cook until cheese has melted.
- Add sauce to pasta and toss. Top with extra cheese and enjoy.
Nutritional Benefits: Vitamin C, Calcium, Magnesium, Folate, Iron, Vitamin A.
Category: Side Dish, Main Dish, Lunch