Folic acid is one of the most important B vitamins a pregnant woman can
eat. This recipe is rich with folic acid to protect baby throughout the
early days of pregnancy. The recipe can also be used to prepare mom for pregnancy.
1 lb lentils
5 cups water
1 can diced tomatoes, 16 ounces
1 dry onion soup package
1 tsp hot or mild chili powder
½ tsp hot or mild cumin
- Run lentils under cold water to rinse away dirt.
- Look through lentils to make sure no small rocks are in with the beans.
- Pour water in a heavy pan and bring to a boil.
- Add lentils and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, cumin and chili powder to the lentils – do not drain water.
- Cover tightly with lid.
- Simmer on low heat for 30 more minutes.
- Serve over brown rice for added fiber.
Nutritional Benefits: Folic Acid
Category: Lunch, Dinner, Main Dish, Side Dish