One of the most frequent questions we get from couples who are trying to conceive is: “When should I see my doctor”? and “When you should I get an appointment with an infertility specialist (Reproductive Endocrinologist)”?

INTERACTIVE TOOL: When to see the specialist

The simplest answer is to go and see your general ObGyn doctor as soon as you think about trying to get pregnant for a preconception visit and find out what you can do to improve your chances having a healthy pregnancy.

Planning to get pregnant is not as easy as most people imagine, and your chances of getting pregnant depend on many different factors. On average, a couple having regular unprotected intercourse has only a 20-25% chance each month to get pregnant. On average it takes ½ of the couples more than 6 months to conceive.

Younger women and those with fewer problems have a higher chance of getting pregnant than older women and those with problems. Fertility decreases as you get older, specifically if you get over 35.

The traditional definition of infertility is usually made after unsuccessfully trying to conceive for more than one year. That doesn’t mean you can never get pregnant. Many couples who have been trying to get pregnant will successfully get pregnant after one year.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean everyone should wait that long before seeing a specialist.

When time is of essence it’s important to not lose precious time, and there are certain instances where a couple should see an infertility specialist (Reproductive Endocrinologist) earlier than those 12 months.

The American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) has defined infertility as..." the inability to conceive after one year of unprotected intercourse". They suggest that …. “couples in whom the female partner is under the age of 35, and who have not conceived after one year of unprotected intercourse, should seek the help of a physician that specializes in the treatment of infertility”.

But ASRM also lists conditions where couples should see an infertility specialist even earlier:

A. Couples, in which the female partner is over the age 35, should seek help after six months of being unable to conceive.

B. Couples who have known causes of infertility should seek help from a specialist even sooner.  These include couples with:

  • endometriosis,
  • fibroids,
  • irregular periods,
  • prior abortion,
  • DES mothers,
  • varicoceles,
  • prior cancer treatment or about to receive chemotherapy, etc.

If any of these apply to you, head right away for an infertility specialist and get checked out. Or take the interactive "RE Test" to find out more.

And while you wait to see the doctor, why not take the Periconception Interview to see how you can further improve your chances of having a healthy baby.

Which doctor you initially see is your choice, and may well be dictated by your insurance plan.  Many general ObGyns are fully capable of initially caring for infertile couples, but seeking a second medical opinion from a specialist is a way to be confident in making decisions about medical care. And you might get things done faster, without losing precious time.

A couple or individual who is concerned about protecting their fertility is encouraged to seek an evaluation by a doctor who specializes in Reproductive Endocrinology or Reproductive Medicine (RE=Reproductive Endocrinologist) as soon as possible in order to improve their chances getting pregnant without the unnecessary loss of time..