An introduction to babyMed
Our mission is to improve reproductive health, including a couple's chances of getting pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy and baby. To do this we have created dozens of interactive and medically accurate tools, and we continually publish articles covering all aspects of fertility and pregnancy. Learn more about babyMed, and our mission.
Get ready for pregnancy!
Most of us prepare when we decide to cook a new dish. We have a shopping list and purchase all the ingredients, follow the recipe step by step, and measure carefully to achieve absolute perfection. For an important occasion, we may even start preparing weeks in advance.
But what about a recipe for getting pregnant? Most pregnancies follow the "just do it" principle—get pregnant first, then figure out what to do next. But this is not the optimal way to have a healthy pregnancy and baby.
babyMed teaches you about the ingredients and steps you need to take to have a healthy and happy pregnancy. We want you to get ready for your pregnancy in the pre-trimester, the preconception period before your pregnancy. Preparation will help ensure that you get pregnant faster, and that you and baby stay healthy.
babyMed helps you get pregnant faster
Experiencing the ups and downs of pregnancy and delivering a healthy baby involves a steep learning curve for most people. After all, most of us took sex education classes in high school and college that taught us how to not get pregnant, but not many of us took any classes on how to get pregnant! In addition, when we first decide we want to try to get pregnant, it can be hard to distinguish between good advice and myth.
In addition, over the last few decades, women have been having their first child at an advanced age which makes it more difficult to get pregnant. babyMed has helped thousands of couples get educated about fertility, trying to conceive (TTC), and pregnancy.
The 6 trimesters of pregnancy
You always assumed that each pregnancy is divided into 3 trimesters. But did you know that there are actually 6 trimesters? The 6 trimesters are roughly divided each into segments of about 3 months:
- Pre-Pregnancy Trimester (preconception)
- First Pregnancy Trimester (up to 12-13 weeks)
- Second Pregnancy Trimester (up to 26-27 weeks)
- Third Pregnancy Trimester (up to delivery)
- Fourth Pregnancy Trimester (postbirth or postpartum)
- Fifth Pregnancy Trimester (going back to work)
Each trimester has its own unique emotional and physical characteristics which can be both challenging and life-changing. We’re here to help guide you through these 6 trimesters of pregnancy.
- Over 8 million women between the ages of 15-44 in the United States have difficulty getting and staying pregnant. That’s 12% of all women of childbearing age, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- In 40% of couples with difficulties conceiving, the male partner contributes to or is the primary cause of infertility.
- 1 in 15 men has reported seeing a fertility doctor at least once.
- 1 in 4 couples has more than one cause of infertility, usually affecting both the male and female partners.
- 1 in 7 cases of female infertility is caused by tobacco and cigarette smoking.
- About 6-7 million women suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) the most common cause of female infertility. This is about 10% of women.
- Roughly 1 in 3 male infertility cases are tied to varicoceles, or abnormal veins in the scrotum, the most common correctable cause of male infertility.
- 1 in 5 couples has no known reason for infertility (unexplained infertility).
- Nearly 9 in 10 cases of infertility can be treated by conventional therapies like surgery or medication.
IVF (in-vitro fertilization) facts
- Only 1 in 30 of all infertility treatments includes in vitro fertilization.
- The average cost of a single cycle of IVF in the United States is over $10,000.
- Only 1 in 3 cases of IVF cycles produces a live birth, and only 1 in 20 if the woman is over 40.
Where babyMed comes in
babyMed is the Internet’s most popular and best independent pregnancy and fertility website, created by a practicing obstetrician and gynecologist. We help women and couples get pregnant before undergoing any extensive treatments. We educate and provide extensive tools to help people get pregnant faster, more efficiently, and have a healthy pregnancy. Since our creation, babyMed.com has earned the loyalty of millions of people around the world and has helped many of them conceive and go on to have beautiful, healthy babies.