Confirmation of pregnancy is often news that’s hard to keep secret. Some women are so excited about being pregnant they want to shout it from the mountain tops, write it across the sky in giant letters, and sing the news like a nightingale. This full-reveal approach works for some expectant moms but there are reasons why a woman may want to wait a while before making the big announcement. Here are some fashion tips from celebrities who knew how to hide baby bumps until the perfect moment came along.
- Rachel Bilson chose a colorful, fitted floral print that provided the perfect camouflage for her new baby bump. A busy pattern hides more than a wide swath of solid color, even when the dress is simply cut.
- Scarlett Johansson dazzled in fitted pants and a form-fitting jacket for the Cesar Film Awards in February. The long-sleeved, V-neck jacket was fitted below the bust, hugged the waist, and then flared just enough to elegantly conceal her secret. Johansson won an award for her role in Captain America, so she was the subject of many photos. She cleverly held her trophy front and center, drawing the eye to the sparkling award and not to what was out of sight behind it.
- Kourtney Kardashian topped a lace Valentino floor-length dress with a hip-skimming leather jacket. She wore the jacket open to minimize the look of the bump from the sides as well as from the front.
- Another Kourtney Kardashian maneuver was to hide a bump with a baby. She was often spotted with toddler daughter Penelope on her hip.She also accessorized with eye-catching hats and purses that drew the eye away from her body.
- Mila Kunis seemed to be shopping a lot before news of her pregnancy was revealed. All those big, overflowing shopping bags provided the perfect cover for the bump emerging from her tiny frame.
- Hayden Panettiere stayed true to her favorite style of body-hugging clothing without raising a single eyebrow at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute Gala. Her beautiful gown was strapless with a shapely fitted bodice but the skirt flared dramatically from the waist, completely hiding the burgeoning baby bump beneath it.
These celebrity fashion icons rely on the cut of the garment to reveal or conceal as desired but the pattern of the fabric is important, too. Solid colors don’t hide much, regardless of the cut, but a pretty print is ideal for keeping secrets. So is a craftily chosen jacket.
Accessories are great for diverting attention, too. Big hats, big purses, brightly colored accessories paired with understated clothing draw the eye away from the clothes themselves.
Source: Tanenbaum, Sharon. “How to Hide a Baby Bump Like a Celeb: Lessons Learned From Kourtney Kardashian, Mila Kunis, Rachel Bilson and Other Pregnant Stars.” Us Weekly / Moms. Us Weekly. Jun 5, 2014. Web. Jun 18, 2014.