What should I bring and pack when I get admitted to the hospital in labor?
You may want to pack two separate bags for the hospital: An overnight bag for the items you'll need during labor and a larger bag for everything else that you'll need after delivery.
For the mother and dad:
- Cell phone or phone card and phone numbers (make sure your battery is charged and you have a second fully charged battery with you).
- Add good apps to your iPhone
- Laptop or iPad (in case of long labor and after labor).
- Sing up with Sendwiz.com to send out birth announcements.
- Camera with film or a camcorder (make sure batteries are full). Dr.Grunebaum recommends a good small camera instead of a big SLR
- CD player or iPod with additional external loudspeakers
- Blackberry (full battery, additional battery),
- Address book and stationary.
- Some cash for parking, food and drinks.
- Your insurance card and any hospital paperwork you need.
- Something to keep you busy, maybe something to read (old trashy magazines are great! iPad, Kindle, etc)
- A second pair of eyeglasses, if you need any.
- Favorite pillow or something else that makes you feel better.
- A large birthing ball.
Body care & food:
- Some water or nourishing drinks
- Healthy snacks
- A hair band and barrettes
- Hand and body lotion
- Massage oil
- Lip balm for dry, chapped lips
- Toothbrush, toothpaste and other toiletries
- Hairbrush, make-up
- Lollipops or hard candy
- Warm socks
- Nursing bra
- Nightgown (with button front if you are breastfeeding)
- Bathrobe and slippers
- Loose-fitting outfit to wear home
- Car seat for baby's ride home, required by most hospitals
- One undershirt (or "onesie")
- One outer garment
- One receiving blanket
- One outer blanket, or "snuggle"
- A hat and pair of booties
- If using cloth diapers, bring two diapers and velcro diaper covers
- A going-home outfit
- A receiving blanket
- A pair of socks or booties
- A cap
- Baby nail clippers or emery board.