What should I bring and pack when I get admitted to the hospital in labor?
You may want to pack two separate bags for the hospital: An overnight bag for the items you'll need during labor and a larger bag for everything else that you'll need after delivery.
For mom and dad:
- Cell phone and chargers
- Preload apps you like to pass the time while you are waiting
- Laptop or iPad (in case of long labor and after labor).
- Camera with film or a camcorder (make sure batteries are full). Dr. Amos recommends a good small camera instead of a big SLR
- CD player or iPod with additional external loudspeakers
- Some cash for parking, food, and drinks
- Your insurance card and any hospital paperwork you need.
- Magazines to read
- Glasses, contacts/contact solution
- A favorite pillow or something else that makes you feel better
- A large birthing ball
Body care & food:
- Some water or nourishing drinks
- Healthy snacks
- Hair bands or scrunchies
- Hand and body lotion
- Massage oil
- Lip balm for dry, chapped lips
- Toothbrush, toothpaste and other toiletries
- Your own maxi-pads (hospital pads often don't have adhesive)
- Hairbrush, make-up
- Lollipops or hard candy
- Warm socks
- Nursing bra
- Nightgown (with button front if you are breastfeeding)
- Bathrobe and slippers
- Loose-fitting outfit to wear home
- Car seat for baby's ride home (required)
- One undershirt or onesie
- One outfit for in hospital
- One receiving blanket
- One outer blanket, or "snuggle"
- A hat and pair of booties
- If using cloth diapers, bring two diapers and velcro diaper covers
- A going-home outfit
- A pair of socks or booties
- A cap
- Baby nail clippers or emery board