Our 12 step program explains how you can lose weight and improve your chances getting pregnant.
- Know Your Goal Weight: The goal weight or the amount of weight you need to lose will tell you how much time it will take to lose the weight. Losing just 2 pounds a week is the safest way to lose weight and keep it off. Calculate your body mass index (BMI) to find out what your optimal weight is.
- Plan to Stop the Diet: Even though you are trying to lose weight for baby, you will need to stop certain diets well before getting pregnant and swicth to diets that are more supportive of fertility and pregnancy. There is some research evidence supporting excess weight gain with mothers who are on a diet when they conceive.
- Establish a Current Caloric Intake: If you are maintaining
your weight very well, try establishing a current caloric intake. This will give you a number to start with when subtracting for weight loss.
- Decrease Calorie Intake: The most prescribed way to lose weight is to eat less than you are currently eating. There are many ways to cut calories including replacing foods. Starting with your current caloric intake, subtract 1000 calories from that total. This is the number of calories you will need to consume every day to lose 2 pounds a week. For example, if you are current consuming 2,500 calories a day, the goal is 1,500 calories a day.
- Increase Exercise: If you find you are not eating enough calories to subtract 1,000 a day, try adding in some exercise to burn away the rest. Subtracting 500 calories a day and burning 500 calories a day will work in the same way.
- Break Up the Exercise: Exercising at least one hour a day is the perfect choice for weight loss. Most people do not have this much time so breaking up the workout is just fine. Working out for 30 minutes on weight training exercises before work and then walking with hubby for 30 minutes after dinner is perfect.
- Start Out Easy: If you are new to exercising daily, start out slow. The body will be sore after the first few workouts and this is often the reason people stop working out. Instead of slamming in an hour that first day, start out with 20 minutes (10 minutes, twice a day) and build from there.
- Add in a Prenatal Vitamin: Dieting before pregnancy is the best time to add in that folic acid you will need in the first weeks after conception. A prenatal vitamin provides all the support a mother to be will need. (Prenatal vitamins are safe for people who are not pregnant as well).
- Supplement For Weight Loss: Along with taking the prenatal vitamin, there is nothing wrong with adding supplements to your daily diet. Green tea, for one, is a proven natural fat burner. This means research has proven consuming green tea can increase metabolism.
- Join a Support Group: The buddy system has been proven to help people lose more weight and keep it off than weight loss attempted alone. The buddy you choose can be part of a weight loss support group or part of a church or school group. It is important to choose someone who will bug you and stick by you at the same time.
- Enlist the Help of a Doctor: A family physician or even your Ob / Gyn may be able to help you lose the weight you need to lose before conceiving baby. This help could be in the form of a prescribed diet or a precription appetite suppressant. Any medications will need to be stopped before trying to get pregnant with baby.
- Visit a Nutritionist: A nutritionist will be able to help you better understand the role of food in your life. Food is there to provide energy, not as a reward. Unfortunately, many people eat more than they need because it tastes good. This is a learned behavior and totally mental.