The process of conception does not always stop at one baby. A pregnancy of more than one fetus at the same time is called a multiple pregnancy. While the majority of multiple pregnancies refer to twin/triplets, with the increase in the use of fertility drugs, the incidence of multiples has recently been growing in numbers.
There are various situations that may lead to the conception or growth of a multiple pregnancy. For the sake of discussion, the twin/triplet pregnancy is easiest to understand.
Dizygotic twins/trizygotic triplets (fraternal or non-identical) are created when a female releases more than one egg or ovulates two or three times and all eggs are fertilized. Monozygotic (maternal/identical) twins or triplets are created if one egg is released, only one sperm fertilizes the egg, and the egg splits into multiple embryos.
- Monozygotic vs. Dizygotic and Monochorionic vs. Dichorionic
- Types of Twins: Monozygotic, Dizygotic, Monochorionic, Dichorionic, Monoamniotic, Diamniotic
- Multiples Pregnancy: Twins and Triplets
- What are the Odds of Having Twins?
- Multiple Births: Risks to the Child
- Risks of Multiple Births
- How to Name Twins and Multiples
- Popular Twin Names of 2010
- Multiple Births and the Risks of Congenital Anomalies
- Extra Special Hospital Care for Twins
- All About Twins
- Examples of a Twin Pregnancy Diet
- What Is It Like To Be Pregnant With Twins?
- hCG Levels in Twin Pregnancy
- Superfetation and Superfecundation - Twins Conceived Weeks Apart by One or Two Fathers
- Twins with Two Fathers: Superfetation and Superfecundation
- Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of Twins
- Conjoined Twins - What are They?
- Facts About Gemellology: Twins, Triplets, and Multiples
- What are the Odds of Twins Having Twins?
- Clomiphene and Twins - What are the Odds?
- Which Women are More Likely to Have Twins?
- Do Twice the Babies Mean Twice the Labor?
- Is tandem breastfeeding truly an option?
- Twin-twin transfusion syndrome
- How common are conjoined twins?
- Should your twins co-sleep?
- Is having twins genetic?
- Are twins genetic?
- Do Twins act the Same in utero?
- Are your Twins Fraternal or Identical?
- Having Twins? Beware of GDM
- Do you Really Need Maternity Clothes when you're Pregnant with Twins?
- What Is the Worst Part of Being Pregnant with Twins?
- Can you Feel Twins Kick Separately?
- 7 Things I Learned Raising Preemie Twins: They Can Catch up with Their Peers
- 7 Things I Learned Raising Preemie Twins: Kangaroo Care
- 7 Things I Learned Raising Preemie Twins: They Grow Fast
- 7 Things I Learned Raising Preemie Twins: They Will Sleep Through the Night
- 7 Things I Learned Raising Preemie Twins: They Can Survive on that Little Bit of Formula
- 7 Things I Learned Raising Preemie Twins: Starting Small Does Not Mean Ending Small
- 7 Things I Learned Raising Preemie Twins: They do Require Some Special Care
- Dr. Amos: Does Bed Rest Work as a Medical Intervention?
- Twin Moms Live Longer Than Singlet Moms
- Not all Pregnancies are Created Equal: The Other Side of a Twin Pregnancy
- Twin Births are Increasing Dramatically and I Thought I Was Unique
News and Studies
- Gestational Diabetes Screening in Singletons and Twins
- Two Embryos More Viable Than One for First-time Mothers
- Twin Weight Difference at Birth May Helf Determine Future Health Risks
- Eliminating Multiple Pregnancies: An Appropriate Target for Government Intervention?
- Height May Determine Twin Birth After IVF
- Progesterone Does Not Prevent Preterm Birth in Women with Twin Pregnancy
- Risk of Twins/Triplets After Ovulation Induction